If you are on a student visa (not working-holiday or tourist visa), you have already paid for basic health cover known as the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Your BUPA card will be sent to IELI by post. During your orientation at the IELI, OSHC will be discussed. If anything is unclear, take this opportunity to ask questions.
Your insurance covers (up to 85% of the Schedule Fee):
- Doctors Fees
- Eye examinations (not glasses or contact lenses)
- Public Hospitals (shared ward)
- X-rays and pathology services such as blood tests
- Ambulance costs (for emergencies)
- Prescription medicines after co-payment, which is currently $30.70 (Up to $50 per prescription)
If you use a private hospital or your own doctor in a public hospital, you will have to pay the difference between that service and the overseas student health cover schedule fee. Ask at the Front Desk if you need help finding a doctor who will not charge you this difference.
Your insurance does not cover:
- Additional charges for single hospital room
- Dental work
- Glasses and contact lenses
- Non prescription medicine
For more detailed information, please take an OSHC brochure from the IELI Student Lounge. If you would like to pay for additional insurance cover, please talk to the staff of IELI.